Tuesday, December 29, 2009

New year coming

I am itching for the new year to get here because there is so very much to do. Well, in actuality I am antsy for two important meetings (that still need to be scheduled!!!) that will occur in 2010 and allow me to put all my talk of scheduling and achieving into action:

1)meeting with the fabulous Chuck to determine how we will run The Boston Circus Guild
2)meeting with said Chuck as well as Chad to determine the course of action for that yet-to-be-named Circus and Spinning Arts 'school'

The first is extra exciting because in the short time that I've been working on promoting and following up on leads for the BCG I see immense success as a real possibility. The website looks better (though it still needs plenty of work) and I am getting positive feedback from clients about how I am presenting our artists. Ricky and I are attempting to wrangle performers as he has hopes of a potluck and I still am trying to get specific pricing and media from everyone last one. But the planning for the future all hinges on a meeting with Chuck.

I have nothing to report on the second meeting as it has been *forever* since we last met and I am really relying on Chad and Chuck to give me direction to help bring our mutual dream into being. There is a mountain of work to be done to make it happen but I see glimpses here in there of hope---mention of abandoned warehouses that are being torn down to create shopping centers makes me believe the government's need to appease the 'culture' side of things can balance this, Boston Spin Jam growing and murmurs of real classes being needed, etc. This is a project I know I cannot begin alone when I have so many other things on my plate so it definitely hinges on a meeting with Chad and Chuck. Maybe Ricky will end up joining in this endeavor, who knows?

Speaking of the new year (ha! Look, I am attempting a semblance of cohesion!) A Different Spin has a huge show coming up on December 31st. We've been booked by Boston First Night to perform our Circus Arts Show in Hynes Convention Center. This is, in short, a pretty big deal. BFN is a 'signature event' in Boston and attendance is massive. I'm a little worried our first show at 1pm will lack an audience as it is literally the first event on the day's activities list but if thousands of people come to HCC for entertainment there is a chance we will get great crowds in at least one of the two shows. We are debuting a brand new show and our rehearsals and line-throughs have been mixed so that is added stress. We may even have new costumes by Thursday which would be a boost in any case. Who knows?

As far as my health goes, I had quite a scare in the beginning of November that saw me hospitalized for five days. Pretty intense and not something I ever want to experience again. Messy details aside, it took me a bit to get over my being bed-ridden and on meds but I've been 95% healthy since getting back home. The one major blip has been these last few days when almond butter has apparently caused me to cramp up. As much as it would suck to randomly find another thing I need to avoid in my diet it would be much better than the alternative explanation, especially right now.

All my focus is on being as energetic and spot-on as possible for Thursday's shows regardless of my health...but the new year has so much more in store.

No comments: